Widest boat I can get

The place for boats, boating, and boat building.
Lonnie

Widest boat I can get

Post by Lonnie »

I have the small kit with a 212cc motor on it. My Basstender isn't the best boat for a longtail so I'm looking for another to replace it with. I'm also a big guy, 280#s by myself so stability is important. What is the widest boat I can run with the 85" shaft? I read on the website up to 40" then I have to go to a 100" shaft. I probably should have gotten the medium kit to have the option of more powerful engines and I may still have to do that.

I also am considering building a wood/fiberglass jon boat so I could make it the size I want. The biggest concern I have is how to protect the bottom from the rocky bottom river I fish.

So, if you have an idea of the perfect boat for the 212cc Predator heni with the small 85" kit for a rocky river that offers the best compromise of stability, roomiest, weight, etc, what would you get. Aknative suggested a 1432 but I am having a tough time finding a used one locally hence the idea of just custom building a jon boat.

Thanks for any replies.

Lonnie

Re: Widest boat I can get

Post by Lonnie »

So, I've been trying for 2 weeks to get a 1432 jon boat and just today I found one 1 hr away for a reasonable price but the guy won't meet on Sunday at anytime. It looks like I'm meant to build a boat. I've ordered jon boat plans from Uncle Johns, I just need some suggestions for a length and width for a fat guy :D . Help me out guys, even if I have to upgrade to a new motor/kit.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Length helps with stability, and the length would help counterbalance you in the stern. 16x36 would be pretty sweet. I've been keeping an eye out for one here, but they're rare anywhere. Length doesn't negatively effect engine performance nearly as quickly as width. 16x40 would be cool as well, and would better support your weight, a larger motor, and a second person and gear.
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Thanks Aknative, I almost snagged a 1636 but I was 1 day too late. Got home on Friday, called and was told a guy was going to look at it Sat morning. I followed up Sat and of course he bought it :headpalm: I will just wait and find a boat for my needs, I'm afraid I will rip out the bottom of a wood/fiberglass boat in the rocks here. They will come up more for sale after Labor Day :thumbsup2: .

SourMash

Post by SourMash »

I would hold off on building one out of wood because of the rocks that you mentioned. For what it's worth (as far as weight is concerned), I have a 1436 and regularly have 550 plus pounds with myself and buddy. I have a modified 420 predator on it and it'll push us anywhere we want to go. I wouldn't go wider than 36", I just don't think you need to.
13' Gheenoe - 212 Predator
1436 G3 - 420 Predator