New to me boat

The place for boats, boating, and boat building.
Lonnie

New to me boat

Post by Lonnie »

Well I was out over the weekend on the road ( I drive a semi for a living) and got home today around noon. I saw a jon boat for sale on the local Craigslist for my price range (cheap :D ). I went and looked at it and bought a 1970 1436 flat jon with trailer, 2 trolling motors (one brand new) with 2 mounted spare tires a couple of seats and a homemade anchor for $400. It's an Arkansas Traveler brand, no plate on it but that's what's on the registration. It and the trailer need some minor work but I hope this will fix my boat problem. I'll go tomorrow and register it for 1 year and hopefully take it out on the water on Monday. I have to remove some bad wood where someone had tried to floor it and make a casting deck. As long as I feel comfortable in it I'll keep it. My small kit with the 6.5 Predator may be a little small for it but I have a Plan B and C :D . Plan B will be to put a stage 1 kit on it to hopefully help it and Plan C is to go to the Tecumseh 10 hp engine if needed. I would hate to buy another kit/engine when I just got this one but that remains a possibility (Plan D :thumbsup2: ). Wish me luck fellas :thumbsup: .

Aknative

Re: New to me boat

Post by Aknative »

You'll like it! I have a 1432 that I like, but wish it was a hair wider. Let us know how it rides, if there's an issue we may be able to troubleshoot it with you.
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

damn, i want me one of those, I love the bow on them.

Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Ok, here's some pics of my boat. I had to have my daughter show me how to download them from my phone and resize them :thumbsup2: .

I need to redo the transom, it has chip board and a piece of 5/4 decking on it. After I got all of the old wood flooring out, I filled it with water and found two small leaks. Overall not bad considering the age of the boat. I would say the boat was heavily used or gently abused depending on your interpretation. Still the boat is in good shape for what I need. Now I have a winter project. I plan on putting the project on hold right now though, I'm getting ready for hunting season. I have an elk hunt in Oct and I need to prep for that.
Attachments
IMG_20170722_102216754.jpg
IMG_20170722_102206509.jpg
IMG_20170722_102117680.jpg

Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Well I took the old transom off today and I have a bit of work on it. 1st, I have a number of holes in the transom I need to fill. 2nd, The top 1/3rd of the transom is bent outward which may be causing the problem with lifting the motor all the way out of the water. 3rd, one corner needs some reshaping but I may just re-enforce it and leave it at that. I will think about that one.

I head out tomorrow on the road so that's all I'll do for now. I have time to think on it and of course any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20170724_080953637.jpg
IMG_20170724_081012764.jpg
IMG_20170724_081023293.jpg

JD

Post by JD »

A 1436 Arkansas Traveler! Good find Lonnie!
I believe that's Fungi's favorite boat.
He never misses a chance to pontificate on the fine qualities of that hull, so I'm sure he'll be along shortly. :)
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.