700 miles and no maintenance

The place for boats, boating, and boat building.
fungi

700 miles and no maintenance

Post by fungi »

I just took a trip from Arlington Ne to St. Louis Mo in a 1848 jon boat with a 30 hp kohler. Prior to leaving I installed the new bayou bushing from swamp runner. The bushing has a different appearance than the delrin and feels very dense. I ran the bushing the whole time and did absolutely no maintenance at all. I measured the shaft and the bushing prior to leaving and after my return and the results were pretty amazing. After 700 miles at 3500 rpm the bushing wore .018" and the shaft wore .011". the first 75miles of the trip in the elkhorn and platte river is very shallow sandy and muddy, the remainder of the time we were in the deeper water of the Missouri and Mississippi. I think if you kept your shaft lubed so it does not rust this would be the last bushing you will buy.

PJB

Re: 700 miles and no maintenance

Post by PJB »

What is the "bayou bushing"?

Willie Rip

Post by Willie Rip »

What is this new bushing? Is it better than the wooden bushing? I chunked the delrin bushing long ago.

JD

Post by JD »

The Bayou Bushing is a project Swamp Runner has quietly worked on for over three years.
After many prototypes, and failures, we finally came up with the ultimate mud motor bushing.
It doesn't care about heat, sand, mud, grit, or anything else the swamp can throw at it.

We ran a shaft fitted with Bayou Bushings in a test tank I like to call the micro-swamp.
The tank was filled with several hundred pounds of mud, sand, and debris we dug from a swamp.
The shaft was fitted to an electric motor and ran continuously at 3600 RPM's to simulate a governed engine running at wide open throttle.
When the hour meter reached over 400 hours the bushings were just starting to break in.

We ran the shaft night and day for over a month.
When the hour meter reached 1018 hours I got tired of burning electricity and shut it off.
We visually checked the shaft and found no perceptible end play at the flange bushing.
The shaft was disassembled and checked further with a caliper.
The flange bushing lost .023 of material, which is amazingly negligible for a bushing with 1018 hard hours on it.
There is simply nothing in the mud motor world that can compare to the Bayou Bushing's durability.
The new Bayou Bushing is a game changer, and is currently available exclusively for Swamp Runner Owners.
We also offer various shafts fitted with this amazing new bushing, which are available as an upgrade.
Just call the shop to order.
IMG_4482.JPG
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

Willie Rip

Post by Willie Rip »

Oh, my goodness! That's what I need! When I get my Honda in I'll have to think about putting one of those bushings in.

MarshflyUSA

Post by MarshflyUSA »

Yep the new Bayou Bushing is the read deal !!!!!!! Installed one a few weeks ago , I have been running heavy vegetation for the last two weeks chasing teal.......NO PROBLEMS at all. Will probably be the only bushing you will ever need. Get one asap !!!!!!

Bcoonce117

Post by Bcoonce117 »

We would all love to see pictures!! Also what kind of speeds were you getting on the journey? Love it though! I'll never own a different mud motor!

PJB

Post by PJB »

How does it compare to the bronze bushing?

JD

Post by JD »

The Bayou Bushing is superior to a bronze bushing in numerous ways.

1. Quieter.
2. Maintenance Free. Bronze bushings require greasing before and after operation, to prevent galvanic reaction between the two dissimilar metals of the bushing and the shaft.
3. Cost. The Bayou Bushing is more affordable.
4. Weight. The Bayou Bushing is lighter.
5. Shaft wear. The Bayou Bushing will not wear the shaft, while a bronze bushing will.
6. Lubricity. The Bayou Bushing is a lot slicker than bronze.
7. Unobtainium. Bronze bushings offered by other mud motor companies are plentiful, while the Bayou Bushing provides far superior performance that is available only to Swamp Runner owners.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.