project 60's skeeter rescue

The place for boats, boating, and boat building.
Markwade

Re: project 60's skeeter rescue

Post by Markwade »

Yes sir it would. We are only about 30 miles from the red, about 4 from the Washita. The washita dumps into texoma on one end and the red comes in the other. It'd be a hell of a trip but my dream plan would be to start on one end and end in the other. Probably never happen ( wife, kids, work ) but it'd be cooler than hell
Last edited by Markwade on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark

Southern OK

Markwade

Post by Markwade »

Coming out of buckhorn creek where it dumps into the lake of the arbuckles

Mark

Southern OK

C David

Post by C David »

...very nice boat and great video. I wonder what reactions you get from people who see your restoration and mud motor setup?
Tracker 1542, 390 Stage 1 Honda/medium kit, F250 homebuilt trailer

Markwade

Post by Markwade »

Thanks for the kind words. All the reactions have been positive with the exception of a few who thought the motor was too small/loud.
Mark

Southern OK

Markwade

Post by Markwade »

Well, the ol girl just got a whole lot lighter! Decided to go ahead and tear into the floor and man it was soaked. I'm guessing a good 100 pounds lighter now.

Floor was laid out in 10-12 inch strips of wood in a brick like pattern. Mainly mush after 50 plus years of soaking up water. Still got a little cleaning up to do and am most likely going to buy materials for the new floor tomorrow. Haven't made my mind up yet, marine ply or some kind of closed cell foam board? Any opinions? Ply or foam?

I know just got started and it'll be a few days before I get it wrapped up but I'm excited to see what kind of performance gains I get from the weight loss
Attachments
20180713_224603.jpg
20180713_190702_1187x1187.jpg
20180713_192905_1187x1187.jpg
20180713_224536.jpg
20180713_224517.jpg
Mark

Southern OK

PJB

Post by PJB »

You will notice a difference. I had a similar situation a couple years ago with one of my boats. The flotation was holding water. I took out 230 lbs of soaked flotation. Getting the extra weight out was like getting rid of an extra passenger.

Markwade

Post by Markwade »

Well I finally got her all back together. New floor is nice and solid, while considerably lighter. Never GPS'd it before but it maxed out at 14 today. Not bad for a little 205cc on 15' boat, guessing the weight I took out of the soaked up floor gave me 3 to 4 mph

Last edited by Markwade on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Southern OK

JD

Post by JD »

:thumbsup:
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

PJB

Post by PJB »

Markwade wrote:Well, the ol girl just got a whole lot lighter! Decided to go ahead and tear into the floor and man it was soaked. I'm guessing a good 100 pounds lighter now.

Floor was laid out in 10-12 inch strips of wood in a brick like pattern. Mainly mush after 50 plus years of soaking up water. Still got a little cleaning up to do and am most likely going to buy materials for the new floor tomorrow. Haven't made my mind up yet, marine ply or some kind of closed cell foam board? Any opinions? Ply or foam?

I know just got started and it'll be a few days before I get it wrapped up but I'm excited to see what kind of performance gains I get from the weight loss
As far as foam or board, are you planning on putting flotation back in the boat? If so, don't use the chain store insulation crap. Use a good marine foam and find a way keep it off the bottom of the floor. As far as just putting boards in without flotation is not something I would suggest.

Markwade

Post by Markwade »

I went with foam, pleased with how it turned out so far. Time will tell.
Mark

Southern OK