What Do You Do For a Living?

Friendly conversation about whatever else is on your mind.
sunshine

What Do You Do For a Living?

Post by sunshine »

Seems like we have folks from all walks of life, always interested to hear what other people with similar hobbies do for a living.

Well, the title says it, what do you do to earn your living?

I'm a nerd, though most never would guess it. I am the lab director for a chemistry and microbiology lab for a municipal drinking water production and distribution system. Mainly do a lot of paperwork and coordination of sampling to keep us in compliance with state and federal rules, training of operators in wet chemistry for process control, and the occasional project/study development and execution.

It's boring and repetitive, but it pays the bills.

PS, if any of you guys ever have well (or other) water quality or treatment questions, I'm more than happy to help. I've helped quite a few folks set up softeners based on chemical analysis in lieu of the culligan man trying to make his commission.

Brian Boyer
Re: What Do You Do For a Living?

Post by Brian Boyer »

Electrician
brianboyer295@yahoo.com

"Hillary LIES matter"... (LOCK HER UP)

durandbagwell86

Post by durandbagwell86 »

My degree is in machine tool technology, I've ran manual and CNC machines but for the last 6 years I've laser welded stainless steel tube.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Emergency communications...dispatcher.
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

Bcoonce117

Post by Bcoonce117 »

Heavy equipment operator. Building roads, dig and place pipe. basically move dirt and place asphalt
This week we blasted the side of a mountain.

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

I spent all of my high school and college years working on offshore fishing boats, mainly charter but with a bit of commercial mixed in.

I'm much more of a hands on type of person, but I come from a long line of construction workers and having watched them suffer in their later years from bad backs, knees, etc and then beating myself half to death offshore I decided to go to school and find a cushy job. Making a living as a fisherman is rough on the body and family.

Trophyhunter

Post by Trophyhunter »

Diesel generator and switchgear technician for a rental company. On call 24/7 365 and occasionally have to fly anywhere in the world on a moments notice.

It has been wearing me out. Trying to start a market farm to sell produce. More physical work but more rewarding, if I can make any money.
Trophyhunter
1236 6.5 predator

ebowski

Post by ebowski »

My father was a carpenter when I was growing up and eventually got worn out doing that and got into building inspection for our city. So, I ended up going the route of construction management. I work for a company now that develops land into subdivisions mostly, but we also build roads and other commercial parcels too. We clear the land, dig ponds, fill the property with the dirt from the pond, install storm drainage systems, gravity and force sewer, potable water and then build the road or parking lot. I really enjoy it, especially now that we are busy here in NE Florida.

Brian Boyer

Post by Brian Boyer »

I currently have both rotator's torn, 3 weeks apart from one another this time last year. Yes i would steer my girls away from physical work if i can influence them in that way. Falling apart at 42, not the way to go.

It does make the electric start on the Lifan necessary and running the boat can be a chore. Not by the boat's design but by the nature of the injury.

NEVER TEAR YOUR ROTATOR'S, and definitely you don't want both torn at the same time.
brianboyer295@yahoo.com

"Hillary LIES matter"... (LOCK HER UP)

Tommyknocker

Post by Tommyknocker »

USAF Retired. Now a gold miner and prospector.