Bear protections....9mm?

Friendly conversation about whatever else is on your mind.
Brian Boyer
Re: Bear protections....9mm?

Post by Brian Boyer »

More Underwood "doin' dirty"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JOfMXh-2SBU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brianboyer295@yahoo.com

"Hillary LIES matter"... (LOCK HER UP)

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

Or go .44 :rockon:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/44-reming ... gas-check/

Technical Information

Caliber: 44 Magnum +P+
Bullet Weight: 340 Grains
Bullet Style: Lead Long Flat Nose Gas Check 21 BHN
Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass
Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1425 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1533 ft. lbs.

Brian Boyer

Post by Brian Boyer »

I like 16 rds in my hand and two 15rd mags in my pocket. Just always dug the high cap stuff.

I like wheelguns for pleasure shooting though. 38+P is downright fun to shoot while still performing well. I never really cared for the wheelgun blindness of magnum rounds at or after dusk though.. The older i get i dont care for the concussion from around the cylinder either/ from now on its 38+P for me if im honest. The 10mm glock 20 is downright pleasant to shoot in comparison to the 357 mag.. I suppose the cycling action absorbs quite a bit of that heavy recoil. To me the 10mm is about like shooting 38+P, but still very powerful.
brianboyer295@yahoo.com

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

357 mag is the funnest for me to shoot, more so than any autos regardless of caliber so far. I just enjoy it. Too bad the fun stops after 6 shots.

The first bear I baited was an estimated 280 or so pound black bear. He was skinny as he'd just come out of hibernation, figure he'd be closer to 300 pounds by the time he was ready for bed again in the fall. We don't make them Jersey sized here, and they don't compare to brown bears. I plugged him through both lungs and the heart with a 250 grain Nosler Partition 338 WinMag. He ran 50 yards into the brush before falling over. What a drag getting him back to the boat. Nothing except obliteration of the central nervous system, high spine or brain, is a guaranteed immediate stoppage of bears, they are just tough. I won't carry less than 357 mag or 10mm, and would love to carry a 12 guauge for protections, but I just simply can't always have that on me. I can always have a 357 or 10mm on me.

On the other hand, I once targeted a coastal browny with my Mini 14. Pegged him once in a back haunch, then again in the flanks right behind his shoulder. He fell like a ton of bricks. The only explanation I can think of that makes the difference between these responses is that for some reason that 223 hitting the heart at that time burst stuff in the bears brain, and for some reason the 338 didn't with the blacky. I don't have a real explanation.

Man I'd love a lever carbine to go with my 357...and another to go with my 44...and another to go with my 10! Something very appealing to me of having ammunition I can put in both.
bear in boat.jpg
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

Yeah, I have a ruger semi auto carbine in 44 in addition to the lever gun and the pistol. I share the same ammo,multiple guns idea.

The carbine is pretty sweet, 5 rounds of 240 grains packed into the same package as a 10-22. It's a great brush gun/ dog hunting rifle.

I agree with the high capacity for a carry gun for two legged critters.

But, no matter what, a semi auto will never be as accurate as a wheel gun. Doesn't matter to everyone, but if you hunt with a pistol it makes a big difference. Just the nature of the beast.

alskanguy

Post by alskanguy »

I use a Tuarus 44 mag and bear specific loads. A hard cast bullet and enough powder to throw that lead with enough energy transfer.
This said my old service weapon in the field here in Alaska was a 10mm. The 10mm was reduced in power early on for over penetration issues, so with this said a solid bullet in a higher grain with at least a +pp powder is what you want. In Alaska we have some very good ammunition makers that specialize in bear loads, that coupled with the fact a glock 20's 16 round magazine capacity and it's extremely fast target recovery time makes it a very good bear defense gun. ALL hand guns including the .500 are best as a "get to a long gun" back up.
The problem with the 454 and 500 are the recovery times. I tested this with a friend and his gun vs my 10mm, I was able to unload 16 on target for his 2 rounds. I also had ejected my magazine and had my hand on the next one by this time.
Everyone has an opinion and this was mine based on experience.
I have had more than a hundred bear in counters "no this is not a exaggeration" and only discharged my fire are once. I did not shoot the bear just 1 shot in the bank to stop a charge and one in the gravel bar to send rocks spraying in her face to send her away in a hurry.
~Steve~
If you can't do it right, then you may want to stop drink a beer and have your buddy do it for you!
1230 Jon Boat with 14" pods and a BEEFED up transom... Small Kit with a Predator 212cc stage 1 & 2 mods.

Brian Boyer

Post by Brian Boyer »

The Glock (i know this sounds crazy) like i said/ shoots downright easy, but IMO even on un-muffled ears, ITS NOT BAD.

The 10 is my first Glock and the first of more i'm sure.

My next will be the new micro pocket single stack 380 using Underwood of course.

The full size Glock in a SigTac positive retention case is quite comfortable/ i wear mine around the property from time to time. (Never know when a Missouri turtle is gonna cross your path/ LOL short of two legged critters on the meth diet your not gonna find dangerous wildlife here)
brianboyer295@yahoo.com

Willie Rip

Post by Willie Rip »

Bear protection?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_Claymore_mine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;