California Turkey Opener

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
AJCsurf

California Turkey Opener

Post by AJCsurf »

....Started off with a boar!

This big boy was on the right side of this canyon. I was on the left with my good duck hunting buddy Josh. and the Shot was taken right at 8am.

Lucky for us, he rolled his 215+lb frame down to the bottom.
Here's Josh waiting for him to expire:

Here was the 1.5hr drag path up the hill we took after we gutted it. Here was about half way up. Good thing we left the rope in the truck!

Josh walked back to the truck, I walked back down for the gear and guns, and we eventually got him into the truck which was probably something that should have taken place to a benny hill theme.

By 12:30 we were well into the skining process...My first time skining big game myself.

the hide:

halved and then hung it up in walk in box. I'm headed over to the guys house on Sunday to choose what I want and I got a lot of choices with that pig and a bunch of duck/goose meat between my dad and I.

I got home Sunday and skinned the head, Monday after work I started boiling it and removing as much as I could in a few hours...

Lets see how my first attempt at a Euro Mount turns out...

dogyak

Re: California Turkey Opener

Post by dogyak »

Wow AJ , that's one good size pig . Should get a lot of bacon out of that one :D . Congrats on the hog , hope you get your Turkey !

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

Good size boar!

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

thanks guys. I just went over some gopro footage. I might throw something together and post it up on here. Time is limited these days.. haha.
AJ

JD

Post by JD »

Nice hog AJ! He looks fat and healthy. Pretty countryside out there. You can see forever. Reminds me of Little House on the Prairie.

Do the hogs out there have thick plates on their shoulders between the skin and the meat? The plates here are so thick they are really tough to skin.
Sounds like your having this one processed. But in the future if you want to have a big BBQ, here's a real easy way to cook him up;

Cut the meat into 5 lb chunks and put it in cooler with layers of ice. Leave the drain open and tilt the cooler so it will drain. Keep adding ice every few days. Let the meat drain like this for 14 days, then put the stopper back in and add a gallon of cheap vinegar and let the meat soak in this slush overnight. Wash the meat, season it with Lawry's, then wrap each 5 lb chunk in two layers of tin foil. Put it in a smoker for about 4 to 6 hours.

This is an old Florida Cracker method that will make any piney wood rooter taste like a mild domestic. I've fed up to 150 people at a time with this simple easy recipe, and I've often heard people say its the best BBQ pork they've ever had.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

Its great country out here. I can surf 30 minutes from this property or drive 3 hours to the sierras and snow board. A brant hunting stop is about 30 minutes away (right near where I surf) and the main stop for ducks and geese in the pacific flyway is just over the hill in the central valley. Its a very unique area where you have so many options to 'go play' on the weekends.

The plate on that thing was so tough! When I was skinning it, the hide wouldn't roll back/down very easily. It was sticking out about 3-4 inches in a loop because it was so thick. I had to re-sharpen my knife about 5-6 times to finish this thing. I've trimmed A LOT of tri tip growing up cooking for events with my dad and this was wayyyyy different.

I'm heading down sunday to talk to my dads buddy who will help me out with cutting it up and choosing what I want to have now, and what I want to go to duck/pig smoked sticks and/or sausage...

The skull is on day 2 of soaking in water, dawn, and baking soda after its initial cleanse. Its really starting to smell terrible. I am not looking forward to the 2nd round of simmering and pulling all the flesh off it. haha. I'll post up and update soon.

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

Went out for the first time chasing some longbeards with a buddy close to work:
woke up at 3:30 and met my buddy north of where I work at 5AM.
East bay (east of the san francisco south bay) at about 5:30AM on top of a ridge on the walk out. This was the night after "the blood moon" so the moon was still very bright = no head lamps and try not to get skunked!

6:35 AM:

And I was still in to work by 8am....

6:15PM the next day after a brine:

8:00PM that night:

I'll have a video up soon.

JD

Post by JD »

Rio Bravo! ...and I'm not talking about one of my favorite John Wayne movies either. I've never seen a Rio in person. They have gorgeous colors. Looks like the old 870 brought home the bacon again. I mean turkey. That smoker of yours does a great job on the meat. Looks nice and juicy.

Did he have a beard? Did you weigh him?

Thanks for posting AJ. You're showing folks a part of California they would have never dreamed existed.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

JD wrote:Rio Bravo! ...and I'm not talking about one of my favorite John Wayne movies either. I've never seen a Rio in person. They have gorgeous colors. Looks like the old 870 brought home the bacon again. I mean turkey. That smoker of yours does a great job on the meat. Looks nice and juicy.

Did he have a beard? Did you weigh him?

Thanks for posting AJ. You're showing folks a part of California they would have never dreamed existed.
Thanks Jon! Yeah its crazy. This is literally less than 20 minutes from the heart of Silicon Valley. That smoker does wonders EXCEPT when it gets cold and windy. I actually had to pull the turkey off and throw it in the oven to get the breasts up to 160 degrees but it turned out great. About 1.5-2 hours on the smoker and then about 20 minutes at 375 and it was dripping with flavor.

He had 9" beard, 3/4" spur (one was missing) and I had to gut him in the parking lot cause he was in a cooler all day in a hot pickup truck bed before I could get home. It was a pain to carry on the walk back! No idea on the weight though.