What decoys are y'all using?

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
dbrew322

What decoys are y'all using?

Post by dbrew322 »

Looking to buy some decoys but not break the bank. Everywhere I've looked everyone recommends the higher end more expensive decoys, I understand they're better but I'm looking more for some budget decoys right now. I see a lot in the $40-50 dollar price range. Has anyone used these? Like the GHG Prograde from MPW or the Banded Block decoys from BPS? Anything around those lines.

ShadowWalker

Re: What decoys are y'all using?

Post by ShadowWalker »

I started with the Storm Fronts about 4 years ago. I have 4 dozen and most still look decent enough to use. They are Texas rigged and thrown in the boat. Not abused, but not babied either. I like my Dakotas with the flocked heads the most, but they are 160 a dozen regular priced. I bag them cause of the flocked heads.

My couple dozen GHG divers and Teal have held up well, and the paint is a lot better than the hot buys, but I am switching over to the ones I make now. Store bought divers don't usually have hens or varied heads, which is why I started carving.
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

Pro grades are okay. most of my pintails were sinkers after the first hunt. Just make sure whatever brand you get, you hit them with a few coats of krylong 1311 matte clear finish. It helps with the durability of the paint. Now it the paint chips off after that (initially) then you had some really crappy dekes.

There are some tanglefree fully flocked 6 packs all over the internet right now for a little more than you are asking. They are big, visible, but HEAVY. those in a six slot bag and a few other mixed in puddlers is a nice pothole spread. Add 2-3 full bodies for your mud mounds and you got a deadly spread.

I've actually had pretty good luck with the ghg "hot buys" and "hot buys II" Rogers I think has em for like $27 for 12 which is a screamin deal if you need a large spread.

Most of my hunts are walk/bike in or small boat in so for me its quality over quantity.

G&H mags, super mags for pintails and mallards.
Dakota mallards (their pintails suck) and then I had some full body final attack mallards flocked by body language decoys (don and cable mintz). They look great. Everything except for the G&H decoys are in slots/bags.

I've rocked the final attack honkers floaters for a while and they are actually pretty good.

JD

Post by JD »

I like the GHG Pro grades. Everything Texas rigged with heavy mono and stored in slotted full body bags. I start with a good spread of mallard hens and don't use mallard drake dekes here in Florida because I think they make the Florida mottled drakes flare. I suppose if I wanted to get really detailed I could paint a few hen bills yellow to resemble a mottled drake, but I never got around to it. We mix in some puddlers and teal packs, a few feeders, throw up a Vortex, and they will come.

If you're painting honkers, I've heard the Canadians have UV vision, so using UV decoy paint is supposedly better.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

dbrew322

Post by dbrew322 »

I probably should've mentioned I was in the market for some teal decoys. I ended up going with the GHG Pro Grade green wing teal, found them for 29 bucks. So hopefully they work out alright. Has anyone tossed out some coot in to their spread? Talking with people it seems to be a fairly effective practice, and there are plenty of coot around my area. They just painted some mallard drakes black and white and tossed them out.

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

dbrew322 wrote:I probably should've mentioned I was in the market for some teal decoys. I ended up going with the GHG Pro Grade green wing teal, found them for 29 bucks. So hopefully they work out alright. Has anyone tossed out some coot in to their spread? Talking with people it seems to be a fairly effective practice, and there are plenty of coot around my area. They just painted some mallard drakes black and white and tossed them out.
match what you see! I have an area where its super mag mallards and bhindi ducks only. EVERYTHING cups up and comes in. Throw the same spread about an hour away and they flare...hard. There are tons of other reasons why that may be (pressure, habitat, cover etc.) but I used to just run the same boring spread everywhere but when I switched things up I started noticing differences. Rogers has the Avian X teal decoys right now for $50 something and they looks great. I won a pack of GWT red heads at a dinner with the removable keel and they are nice for numbers but crap for quality.

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

I learned the ropes of duck hunting with a guy who had a bunch of Bass Pro Decoys with the removable keel, and I will never own them. They look like garbage and over time those keels will loosen up and come off easy.

If you want coots repaint your old decoys black with white bills, or paint some half gallon milk jugs or pop bottles flat black.
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

JD

Post by JD »

I received my Cabelas Waterfowl catalog the other day. Last time I had that much fun looking at a catalog it was probably the Sears & Roebuck Christmas catalog during the winter of 76 :)

Lots of decoys by Bigfoot, Hard Core, Avian X, Final Approach, DOA, Higdon, Flambeau, G&H, Tanglefree, and Northern Flight (Cabelas brand). Anybody have any experience with how well the Cabelas decoys hold up? I've had good luck with other Cabelas products, but never tried their Northern Flight decoys.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

JD wrote:I received my Cabelas Waterfowl catalog the other day. Last time I had that much fun looking at a catalog it was probably the Sears & Roebuck Christmas catalog during the winter of 76 :)

Lots of decoys by Bigfoot, Hard Core, Avian X, Final Approach, DOA, Higdon, Flambeau, G&H, Tanglefree, and Northern Flight (Cabelas brand). Anybody have any experience with the how well the Cabelas decoys hold up? I've had good luck with other Cabelas products, but never tried their Northern Flight decoys.
I got some full body snow floaters last year and they seem pretty durable but the keel design is pretty lame. Just a real thin keel (like a hot buy) with one tie off point. I don't like all my birds facing the same way in the wind and also, a hook on the keel helps for depth adjustment but they look good and seem durable.. they are snows though... :lol: A modified cleat hitch on the front or back of the keel helps with them not facing the same way but still... I like options man!

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

I need to find out what goose decoys my dad got years ago. I know they were cheap even for clearance but still survived two aggressive sheep bucks using them for ramming practice. :lol: