Decoy Pass Anyone?

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
AJCsurf

Re: Decoy Pass Anyone?

Post by AJCsurf »

Just found out I got draw for a CWA hunt in the suisun marsh with my dad. That is for the 18th. I know I am hunting that day but with a baby, a baby's 1st birthday, the wifes birthday, and halloween/thanksgiving, I dont know when I will go out again so if you want to get the west coast out of the way, let me know. I can bring it out for that hunt.

:mrgreen:

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

I know It's been a week but I was out of the state for work all last week and didn't have time to post up.

My buddy Josh and I hunted that CWA property and it was not what we expected. To make a long story short, we brought the kitchen sink for honkers (20 full bodies) and about 80 ducks because the pond was wide open. We had motion on nearly everything, (jerk strings, magnets etc) and figured why not? Make it looks like the closed zone and they will be cupped up something fierce.

Here's the ruddy out front of me looking below the gibson blind covers directly adjacent to the jerk string group of 4 and what should have been the kill hole.

This was not the case...

Here's Josh drawing first blood on a cupped up mallard that was coming in for its final pass (he got a little trigger happy and as it was swirling around my backside he crippled it). I sent Abby cause it looked dead and what do ya know? It popped it's head up and swam away. She chased after it but it was in over waist deep water and it easily swam away from her. Josh had to walk out, I whistle sat Abby and he slueced it. Four birds later (drake spoon, two green wing teals and a gadwall) we were done as the hunts out there end at noon.

I wanna take this guy out again but I don't wanna hold on to him too long if other people's seasons are starting. Let me know who is next and when you want it. The calls also showed up last Friday, they are sweet calls and I wish I wasn't on with a call company so I could purchase a few.... ;)

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

There's no real hurry, there's only a few of us, and a few seasons haven't started yet. How'd he float?
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

he did good! You'll see a little line on it from where it sat in that brackish water... It got a custom ride out and back in the padded backpack so hes looking real good.

I'm hoping there will be some blood on it soon.

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

Good pics AJ!

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

Okay so I've been real busy with my son's first birthday, a trip to pearl harbor for work, and then general life stuff that go hand in hand with a newborn but I made an effort to set aside some time for the brant opener here in California.

We had myself in my 1232 Jon with the 7hp with the guns, blind material, longlines etc.. and my buddy Josh in a bright red 2 person kayak with my two bags of brant decoys.

At 3:30am there was a 1ft low tide and it was swinging too a 5ft tide at 10:41. That's a pretty big switch. 5 minutes before shoot time we had 40 brant right outside of the decoys. A early shooter flared the group and they were gone.

about 30 minutes later this single comes floating in... dumped. My first brant.

Then there is a big lull of 2 hours where we had to move to higher ground 2-3 times and after we see this single sitting on a small bank. Through the binos it looks "weird" almost like it was albino or something. The wind was aiming it right to the spread so I told Josh, "I'm gonna go get you your first brant."

about 30 minutes later and paddling that 2 person yak against the tide and wind I'm upwind of the bird directly inline with our spread. A few aggressive paddles and it jumps up, floats into the spread and josh dumps it.

Okay, we both got one. It's about 9 or 10 at this point and Josh has to leave around 11:30 so I was getting nervous he wasn't gonna get his second bird and I was gonna lose my decoy transport :lol:

We spot 3 birds in the channel down tide/wind of us and the fog is rolling in thick. We are watching these things like hawks and hoping for some reason they would swim against the tide or fly against the wind into our spread. Also, at this point, we are basically two guys and a dog in a 1232 standing up to shoot in about 2 feet of water which if you can imagine, was getting a bit sketchy. We lose track of the birds in the fog and then we are just sitting there, counting down until Josh has to leave around noon ish.

And in an instant, I see these three black silhouettes at 20 yards coming through the fog on my left at about 10 O'clock. I was like "josh josh josh on our left!" as I'm pushing my gopro button waiting for the beep beep beep telling me its recording. He stands up and dumps the first in the group right in the dekes, I stand up a little after him and hit the one right behind it as its flaring from the shot. 2 shells, 2 brant and I'm happy as can be.

Also, the little ruddy man got some brant action/blood on him.
I'll be mailing the decoy out on Monday! Thanks for the opportunity to use 'em!

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

Awesome! Justin its on its way to you next.
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

Sweet im going to try to walk in hunt this weekend since I dint have a boat right now. :(

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »