Season's coming quick, what do you have to finish?

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
AJCsurf

Season's coming quick, what do you have to finish?

Post by AJCsurf »

The dove opener in less than a week.

It's getting closer boys......

What is on your to-do list before this season starts??

For me:
I need to sell a few more motors to purchase a new boat and or sell my current set up. I'm looking at a 1542 with a v twin because of you-know-who's thread on here ;)
The reason I wanna get this set up is to FINALLY target pacific brant in my hometown where I grew up and I'll need a bigger boat to get dad and myself out there.
I've acquired about 12 brant floaters that are in really good condition and a bunch of gang rig clips, mainline and weights from one of my dad's buddies.
I've purchased 128 square feet of black coroplast to make V-boards. I've already made the template for the center plate that holds the boards. I should be able to get 140+ decoys on v-boards and others on stakes for under $200.

I really want to go out with my dad, shoot two brant a piece, get some pics of my almost 10 year old BLF bringing 'em back, and then get one mounted. That's the main goal of the season. 2nd goal will be doing it all over again with a few buddies and my YLM.

What about you guys?

jmscherrman

Re: Season's coming quick, what do you have to finish?

Post by jmscherrman »

I have to repaint the boat and finally finish up the boat cover for when we ditch it for bank hunting.

Maybe I should follow your lead and pick up a 1542 too!

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

AJCsurf wrote:The dove opener in less than a week.
I need to sell a few more motors to purchase a new boat and or sell my current set up. I'm looking at a 1542 with a v twin because of you-know-who's thread on here ;)
Who would that be?

I need to get a few more decoys carved out. I want to add a few shovelers to my spread this year.

I bought all new stuff to rig all of my decoys. I went through SNL Corp and got their texas rigging kit with enough crimps and line to do 200 decoys, 5 Dozen egg weights, and 2 dozen long line clips. I am longlining my store bought divers this year. Everything else is getting texas rigged. Most already are rigged this way, but some of them the line isn't stiff enough and they tangle. The new ones are 400lb Mono, so they won't.

I still need to install my switch panel and nav lights in the boat.
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

Was wanting to put together a new shotgun for doves but got distracted by an SKS and further modifications to the 22-250.

I need to break down and do an overhaul on the 212 predator. I've been pushing it hard for the last two years and it is starting to show signs of wear.

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

AJCsurf wrote: I need to sell a few more motors to purchase a new boat and or sell my current set up. I'm looking at a 1542 with a v twin because of you-know-who's thread on here ;)
Don't sell too quick, large kits on backorder through November. Unless you have one in stock! ;)

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

Oh I gotta finish the decoy for the forum too. Should start painting it by Friday.

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

Got one item checked off of the want list, picked up a set of four GHG Pro Grade goose floaters last night. Not exactly what I wanted but I had gift cards to Scheels.

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

If you have a gander near you, watch for in store sales on the Final Approach floaters if you need more. Usually part way through the season they will run an in store decoy sale and you can pick up the three packs for a decent price.

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

I'm definitely keeping an eye out for sales this year....goose floaters ain't cheap!

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

Or make your own ;)