California Dove Opener

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
AJCsurf

California Dove Opener

Post by AJCsurf »

September 1st finally came.

I made the trip back home to where I grew up Sunday Evening.

Monday at 4:30 am came quick and I headed out to some family friends' vineyard and cattle properties about an hour inland from the coast and was set up just before shoot time. Dad got called into work so here I was, hunting alone on the dove opener, the first time ever.

I had both dogs with me and was in somewhat of a hurry. I had to drive the hour back to Morro Bay and do some "Tow ats" with my best friend I grew up surfing with. The just acquired two jet skis etc.. so I was somewhat in a rush.

First up was Abby, my BLF. I got set up and started waiting. Nothing. Birds were around just way to far and were skirting the area I was in. I picked up and moved to another area, still not much. Doves were higher than any shot I would take at a duck. The gopro on my head was basically taking video of the sunrise:

Around 8 I got one bird with Abby and it was somewhat dead. She was getting hot from sitting in the sun and I figured I would grab Danzig, my YLM and get him on his first dove. Around 9:30 I finally connected on another, danzig pinned it, in a vineyard which is awesome and brought it back. He was so wound up after that retrieve that just sitting there at heel, his tail was constantly wagging.

Around 9:30 I packed it up and headed back to the house to drop the dogs off, grab my surf stuff and meet up with my buddies who were already out there.
Once I showed up, I saw them at the boat launch already done and my buddy showed me this photo:

Definitely bummed but since I was already there, I decided to go have a surf anyways. 3 hours later, I'm sunburnt and very tired. Hurricane Marie has sent large amounts of south swell and there was still some remnants of it out there. Navigating the Labor Day crowd was tough but it was worth it.

I headed home, Dad and I cooked rib-eyes for myself, mom, dad, and our family friend who was going to join us on our evening hunt.

At 6:45 we got the property for our evening hunt. Shoot time ends at 7:29 so we were hustling to get things together.

I went down to a draw where I could have sworn I heard a duck on the neighbors property that morning thinking there may be water there. Well, I think I was right becuase it was a war zone. Abby got 13 more birds in about 25 minutes. Here's my dad and I with my limit. His birds were in his car:

I headed home and got there around 10pm, very tired and had to get everything ready for my work week which starts at 4:30am when my alarm went off this morning. I'm tired, sunburnt as hell, but it was a great way to start off the Fall hunting season. :D

AJCsurf

Re: California Dove Opener

Post by AJCsurf »

These lasted about 5 minutes before they were gone.....

I tried a new recipe and don't think I'll be trying another one for a very long time. These were definitely the best dove breasts I've ever eaten anywhere.
It's from an article Field and Stream did on Tim Love out of Texas.

Skinless dove breasts
Peanut oil
1⁄2 cup guajillo chile powder (or the equivalent mexican chile powder that comes in the mexican aisle at your store, not sure if eveyrone has this)
1⁄2 cup kosher salt
1⁄4 cup cumin, ground
2 Tbsp. rosemary, chopped
2 Tbsp. thyme leaves, chopped
1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. coarsely
ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. brown sugar

Directions
1. Make the rub: Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
2. Brush the dove breasts with peanut oil. Generously coat them with the rub
3. Place the meat on the grill, with a high fire, for 1 1⁄2 minutes per side.

One thing I did to expedite the process was to just pour peanut oil in a dish and just threw all the breasts in there to coat em. I threw em on a pan, shook the seasoning all over them and then just tossed em around until they were all coated.
I halved this recipe and have enough left over form my original 15 breasts to probably do over 100 dove. I should be good for a while :mrgreen:

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

That looks delicious!

dogyak

Post by dogyak »

sounds like a great day to me AJ . Love me some doves :D :D

JD

Post by JD »

Only in California could you sandwich two dove hunts between a surfing trip in the same day! Great pics. Thanks for sharing AJ.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

MoWaterfowl

Post by MoWaterfowl »

Went for the Missouri Dove opener on Sept 1st. Had a great morning, shot my limit of 14.5 birds in two hours. Would have been 15 but when I went to pickup one of them, it was just two wings and a head. Another was more steel than bird (we have to use steel on public land). Were it the great JD would have been 14.5 birds in 30 hours. :lol:

Finished the evening with them on the grill seasoned and stuffed with nacho jalapenos, wrapped in bacon over charcoal (the way my grandfather did it 40 years ago). I picked the bones clean...even the ones my wife ate.

-- Chris

JD

Post by JD »

Easy now. I finally sprung for a Benelli.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.