Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
User avatar
ShadowWalker
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 pm
Location: Minooka
Location: Joliet, IL

Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by ShadowWalker »

Why can no one make an inexpensive slotted bag that will last? I like slotted bags in general, but especially for the decoys I make. But why do bags cost as much or more than the decoys you put in them? Rogers seems like the best deal on slotted bags, but they are still near $40 plus shipping on sale.
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

tmclaimerFL
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Tampa,Fl
Location: Tampa, Fl

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by tmclaimerFL »

I can honestly sat I'm glad I don't have that problem. :lol: Mesh carry bags work for me, but then again I'm not hauling goose decoys around either.
Call, kill, consume

User avatar
ShadowWalker
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 pm
Location: Minooka
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by ShadowWalker »

I don't have that problem for a lot of mine. But some I would like to keep decent. My Dakota mallard drakes have flocked heads and were $160 for a dozen. My foam ones though, while not money expensive, are time expensive. I have a bunch of storm fronts texas rigged that I just put on the bottom of the boat. They are $30 a dozen or whatever and If I get a few seasons out of them thats fine. But Diver decoys are 50 or 60 for half a dozen. On top of wanting to keep them in good shape, putting them in a slotted bag helps keep them clean. Since there is a lot of white on most divers, they show dirt and mud easy, and I have had a couple actually stain.

I hate the bags though, especially if you hunt from the boat, because even empty they take up room or can trip you up. And storage in the off season kind of sucks because you can't really stack them well.
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

tmclaimerFL
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Tampa,Fl
Location: Tampa, Fl

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by tmclaimerFL »

ShadowWalker wrote:I don't have that problem for a lot of mine. But some I would like to keep decent. My Dakota mallard drakes have flocked heads and were $160 for a dozen. My foam ones though, while not money expensive, are time expensive. I have a bunch of storm fronts texas rigged that I just put on the bottom of the boat. They are $30 a dozen or whatever and If I get a few seasons out of them thats fine. But Diver decoys are 50 or 60 for half a dozen. On top of wanting to keep them in good shape, putting them in a slotted bag helps keep them clean. Since there is a lot of white on most divers, they show dirt and mud easy, and I have had a couple actually stain.

I hate the bags though, especially if you hunt from the boat, because even empty they take up room or can trip you up. And storage in the off season kind of sucks because you can't really stack them well.
I'm not one to always maintain my decoys very well. My BWT are rugged and only 3-4 seasons old. My divers are mostly repainted mallards minus a half dozen ringers and half dozen scaup. Most of the divers only get used on long lines though too so they aren't towed around a lot and when they are I don't even put them in a bag. I have them clipped together in bundles and they just sit in the boat until deployment.
Call, kill, consume

User avatar
JD
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location:
Location: Palmetto, FL

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by JD »

ShadowWalker wrote:But why do bags cost as much or more than the decoys you put in them?
I'm with ya, and have not found a cheap alternative. I currently put my good dekes in small burlap bags.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

User avatar
jmscherrman
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 pm
Location: PC, Iowa
Location: Prairie City, IA

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by jmscherrman »

I hate bags, but its the only setup I can use with my boat. Would love to have built in decoy storage but I don't see that happening.

User avatar
ShadowWalker
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 pm
Location: Minooka
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by ShadowWalker »

I have a great bag drawn up actually that solves a lot of my problems. Too bad I'll probably never be able to do anything with it.
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

User avatar
MoWaterfowl
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 7:47 am
Location: Kansas City, MO
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by MoWaterfowl »

These are the best decoy bags you will ever find. Made in the good ol' USA. Really great story to how the gal got started making them. Call Diane and she'll hook you up.

http://www.customdecoybags.com/home.html

User avatar
jmscherrman
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 pm
Location: PC, Iowa
Location: Prairie City, IA

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by jmscherrman »

Diane's bags look awesome, much better than the bags I picked up at BassPro that are all loose and let my dekes shift around too much. Thanks redhead. :roll:

User avatar
AJCsurf
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:51 pm
Location:
Location: Central Coast, California

Re: Decoy Bags: A slight rant.

Post by AJCsurf »

MoWaterfowl wrote:These are the best decoy bags you will ever find. Made in the good ol' USA. Really great story to how the gal got started making them. Call Diane and she'll hook you up.

http://www.customdecoybags.com/home.html
be careful guys... here's one of many threads on her:

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... ight=diane

Post Reply