Moose on the Yukon

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
Aknative

Moose on the Yukon

Post by Aknative »

(Going to be a multiple post entry, picture heavy"

So Uncle Dan came up from MI again to go moose hunting. I thought all the issues with the 25 horse were fixed...

Take one...all loaded up with too much food, too much gear, hopefully enough gas, planning on burning gas and eating food until we have enough room for meat.
Take 1
Take 1
Other brand mud motor had issues right from the ramp. I tried to village it, and got it to run %90 percent right, but just couldn't trust it.

Luckily I had a spare!
17.5 Frontiersman with 212 Predator on the small kit
17.5 Frontiersman with 212 Predator on the small kit
We went home, decided to pare down our gear, save twenty gallons of gas, pored the rest into the truck, threw the canoe on the truck and bombed back to the river. We slept in the truck that night after making it back to the launch, and were making all possible speed up the Yukon by day break. I brought the GPS and the SPOT. According to my GPS we averaged 4.5 miles an hour up the river...at wide open throttle. I learned that we got about an hour and 20 minutes out of a gallon tank at WOT. So we stopped about every hour and ten or fifteen minutes to fuel up, stretch our legs, snack...we did this for 14 hours by my poor math, my wife says the SPOT showed us to be travelling for 16 hours...either way it was a long day, especially since we didn't make it to the public use cabin we were aiming for.

Our camp the first night after we ran out of gas in the river in the dark and had to fuel up in the river as the nearest back was a vertical cliff...not ever going to do that again, I really should not have pushed that last tank.

After the harrowing experience of fueling the motor in the dark, we hit the first beach we could find and made a rough camp.
Slept in tarps
Slept in tarps
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

Aknative

Re: Moose on the Yukon

Post by Aknative »

We were up against the rock, not sure how we missed the gravel bar in the dark.
09.09.2014 034.JPG
We realized at daylight the next morning we were within sight of our destination. This pic is from the bank at the cabin looking at the island we slept on.
Slept on that island.
Slept on that island.
We checked out the cabin to make sure we knew where it was, BSed with the guys staying there who didn't mind the company if we were stay, and carried on...averaging 4.5 MPH...stopped for fuel....FINALLY, we could see the valley that the target drainage has formed, but it's still a long way off. Not much else to do at 4.5 MPH but look at the right bank, the snag in the river, the island, the left bank, the island, the snag, the right bank, swiveling our heads back and forth.

Uncle starts screaming "Moose! Moose! BIG FRICKIN' MOOSE!" I'm searching the right bank thinking it's got to be there, he's cussing me for looking the wrong way, and I finally realize the snag is moving! Heading from the right bank to the island on his way across the river! So I turn us, and head for the left side of the island, trying to cut the moose off. Uncle's screaming "Faster FASTER!" "I CAN'T GO ANY FASTER!" We hit the beach leap out of the boat and I'm yelling "Don't you shoot that thing in the water!" We also hade to make sure the antlers were big enough, so I'm telling him to wait...hang on. We're both scoped in on it, and it looks monstrous! It's on the gravel, trotting for the other side of the island, glancing at us. Uncle says "He's legal, I know he is!" "Plug him."

Unc's first shot was almost perfect, right behind the shoulder, smidge high (we later looked at the heart, first bullet just nicked the top of the heart) and the critter flinched and kept going. I'm watching through my scope and waiting for Unc to plug him again...and waiting...and waiting. I look at Unc and he's just standing there slack jawed. He's used to white tails falling over when you hit them with a 300 Winchester and he's boggled that Bullwinkle is trotting on like nothing! "Plug him again!" I say. In the neck, lights out! It seemed. We start celebrating and the moose got up to his knees, then to his feet. Unc told me to hit him, I did, moose didn't take another step but took his time laying back down!

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Unc cutting his ticket! He was shaking so bad I was worried he'd cut himself!
09.09.2014 038.JPG
09.09.2014 052.JPG
Perspective. 52.5 inches wide, 4 and 2 brow tines.
mycamera 007.JPG

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

We planned on just camping there, considering all the work we had ahead of us.
09.09.2014 055.JPG
"This leg is like our deer!"
09.09.2014 057.JPG
Heart, it's what's for dinner!
09.09.2014 068.JPG

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Tyson drums sticks.
09.09.2014 075.JPG
It started to rain just as we got the dam cape in the bag, so we threw everything in the canoe..barely. Half hour at idle to make it back to the roadhouse, with so much boat in the water that I had trouble steering in the eddies!
09.09.2014 090.JPG

Spent a whole day there trimming fat, fleshing the cape, making jerky, BSing with the room mates.
09.09.2014 105.JPG

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

09.09.2014 087.JPG
09.09.2014 108.JPG
09.09.2014 119.JPG

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

And then it was time to head down river.
09.09.2014 136.JPG
Hoping we don't die. We gave away some gas, the roomies offered to haul some stuff to town for us, made sure we each wore the life jackets and had empty gas cans handy for extra flotation devices.
09.09.2014 139.JPG

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

We averaged 9 MPH going down river at idle, and probably would have made it without fueling up. But if your stopping to eat or stretch your legs there's no reason to not put some gas in the tank, especially with the memory of fueling up in the dark on the river fresh in my mind.

I was singing "Just around the river bend."
09.09.2014 158.JPG
Whew!
09.09.2014 156.JPG

Truck seat sure looks comfy.
09.09.2014 159.JPG

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Just about ready to hit the road.
09.09.2014 163.JPG

Turned out to be a great trip, despite a rocky start.

We all cut meat for days, Unc was able to bring a bunch home as well as the antlers and cape. Hoping for a good safe trapping season, rebounding marten prices, and rising critter populations...and a larger kit to power my flat bottom!

Be safe out there!

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

That is one of my dream hunts right there!