Opening Weekend

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
PJB

Opening Weekend

Post by PJB »

Most of us have had our opening by now. Hope everyone had successful and safe hunts. Mine was perhaps one of the most unusual weekends I have encountered.

AJCsurf

Re: Opening Weekend

Post by AJCsurf »

PJB wrote:Most of us have had our opening by now. Hope everyone had successful and safe hunts. Mine was perhaps one of the most unusual weekends I have encountered.
wanna elaborate? haha

PJB

Post by PJB »

The night before I could not sleep, so I left the house earlier than normal. At 3:30, I arrived at the boat ramp that resembled a Wal-Mart parking lot during a Black Friday sale. It's the largest crowd I have ever seen at this ramp. I get to one of my spots, and before daylight I had one group of hunters set up 100 yards behind me and another group 100 in front of me. I was peppered with BB and #3 shot all morning (many of the pellets are still on the floor of my boat). But the most interesting part was majority of the birds the guys in front of me missed came into my decoy spread with wings cupped. Despite the overwhelming crowd, group of guys running their decoy spread (all tied to one line) across the main chanel, steel shot raining down on me, my male Lab scaring a guy at the boat ramp (my Lab hates men), waiting half an hour on OO7 who managed to take up two ramps with his truck and trailer to load up his boat, it was still a great morning on the water and harvested three Woodies and two Ringnecks.

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

that sounds nuts/fun. welcome to public land duck season! :lol: