Ducks 2015

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
reharbert
Ducks 2015

Post by reharbert »

Early teal season opened in Texas this past Saturday. Public lands create entry lines to enter almost 24 hours before launch times, and even the less utilized areas bring in dozens of people. Launched the boat at midnight, to wait at a levy that couldnt be crossed until 4:00am. This set of ponds I went to is less used, because you have to winch your boat 700-800 feet. Always worth it when you shoot your bird limits before 8. Some mud motors are able to cut 300-450 feet of winching out of the equation. Heres a few picture of the birds and what we had to winch. Can't wait to get the longtail built to navigate the marsh. Lets see everyone elses ducks through the year!
Attachments
Levy have to winch over. Can't cross by TPWD rules until 4:00am.
Levy have to winch over. Can't cross by TPWD rules until 4:00am.
Main wateway at top of the photo, around 750 feet of 2-4inch water.
Main wateway at top of the photo, around 750 feet of 2-4inch water.
12 teal, 2 man limit.
12 teal, 2 man limit.
17 x 48 Uncle J Custom w/25hp Subaru EFI GatorTail (28mph)
14 x 32 AlumaCraft w/6.5hp Swamp Runner (30mph)

Beaumont, TX

JD

Re: Ducks 2015

Post by JD »

It's the same down here with public lands. The longtail will definitely give you an advantage and the ability to access areas others simply cant.
That is a long way to winch, but it looks like all that work paid off :thumbsup2:
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

TECshoot

Post by TECshoot »

Ive got the itch to shoot birds all year long but now that we are down to 11 days to full open season im going nuts. Been through all the equipment and gear probably twice already and always looking to Improve something. Looking forward to seeing everyone's hunting posts :ninja:
1436 Alumacraft Jon-Predator 420
13ft wood duck skiff-Predator 212

PJB

Post by PJB »

Nice! :thumbsup:

fowl_language

Post by fowl_language »

Nice! That's a huge distance to winch, i'd probably be one of the guys that doesn't do it! We opened early teal last week and I haven't even been out yet, it's sad. Too much to do every year to get ready! Thanks for the boost in excitement I suppose I'll go patch my waders now.
14' Wards SeaKing Shallow V hull
-----Upgraded 212 cc predator "Beast mode" on SPS Swamp Runner Small Kit

16' Sea Nymph Fishing Machine with 55 hp Frankinrude

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

Didn't make any early teal or goose. We were working on the blind during the season. I wish they did the lottery in the spring instead of the end of July so we could be done by September.
Tracker 1542- Large Kit - 23hp Vanguard

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

How do you drag a boat through that much mud? What do you use as the anchor and winch?

reharbert

Post by reharbert »

I have a plate welded to the front of the boat, with a 3500lb winch mounted on it. I carry a metal fence "T" post in the boat with a short choker attached about a foot from the bottom. Stick it in the mud, hook the winch hook to the choker. If you hold the top of the post away from the boat at about 45 degrees, the winch will basically drive it down into the mud. It will sink just a few feet in most places before it grabs enough to start pulling the boat forwards.

Eventually I'll put a winch on a 2'' piece of square tubing, and have a receiver style connection on the boat to slide it in, and remove it when not needed. That winch and battery combo is a pretty good amount of weight.

Most of the winch areas have T post left in the ground at just the right intervals that you can simply hook on to.

Here's a picture of the original rough install, I don't have one with me of the current setup.
Attachments
20150909_214542.jpg
17 x 48 Uncle J Custom w/25hp Subaru EFI GatorTail (28mph)
14 x 32 AlumaCraft w/6.5hp Swamp Runner (30mph)

Beaumont, TX