Got My Tag

Hunting discussion from waterfowling to gator hunting, and everything in between.
sunshine

Re: Got My Tag

Post by sunshine »

I don't see why you couldn't tie him up to the side and roll out.

Can't see it being very fun, but for a big lizard, or once in a ten years thing, definitely worth it

Backwoods

Post by Backwoods »

Hey you know it's totally a possibility somebody having one !.......I'm with sun on if he's that worthy then hell yes you can strap it up and drag it back out ....any chance At maybe a second canoe you could load the beast in it ,just think might be Lil easier to tow/ drag it that way

SourMash

Post by SourMash »

Is it possible to float down from upstream? Two canoes sounds like a good idea if there isn't enough water for the motor
13' Gheenoe - 212 Predator
1436 G3 - 420 Predator

PJB

Post by PJB »

SourMash wrote:Is it possible to float down from upstream? Two canoes sounds like a good idea if there isn't enough water for the motor
That is what I am planning on doing. I have found two gators that are on a shorter section that are around ten feet in length. Not the one I really want, but still respectable size. The one I have been trying to get is wider than canoe. Not sure it is possible to get him out.

Croaker

Post by Croaker »

PJB wrote:
SourMash wrote:Is it possible to float down from upstream? Two canoes sounds like a good idea if there isn't enough water for the motor
That is what I am planning on doing. I have found two gators that are on a shorter section that are around ten feet in length. Not the one I really want, but still respectable size. The one I have been trying to get is wider than canoe. Not sure it is possible to get him out.

A few air filled boat bumpers tied to the carcass might keep it at the surface. If the width of the body of water allows, two canoes lashed together to make a narrow catamaran would provide more stability than a single canoe. Jon boats without a motor make a good slight draft barge for floating out loads.

Do the Georgia rules require catching on a hook before dispatching or can you just shoot it from a distance and then recover?

PJB

Post by PJB »

Croaker wrote:
PJB wrote:

A few air filled boat bumpers tied to the carcass might keep it at the surface. If the width of the body of water allows, two canoes lashed together to make a narrow catamaran would provide more stability than a single canoe. Jon boats without a motor make a good slight draft barge for floating out loads.

Do the Georgia rules require catching on a hook before dispatching or can you just shoot it from a distance and then recover?
Here they must be on a line either by hook, arrow, or harpoon. Baited hooks are not allowed. Gator must be put down by pistol or bangstick. No rifles may be in possession.

JD

Post by JD »

The girth and weight of a gator increases greatly when they get over 10 feet.
A hoss in the 12' range will require a winch, come-along, and/or block & tackle plus the help of multiple friends to get him out to water deep enough for transport.
Lots of fun and lots of work.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

PJB

Post by PJB »

Here are a few pics from this weekend. Came across dozens of these little guys. On the plus side, I did a lot of boating through the thick stuff. Now it's time to devise some new strategies.
Attachments
IMG_20160829_49418.jpg
IMG_20160829_38378.jpg
IMG_20160829_59723.jpg
IMG_20160829_3048.jpg
IMG_20160829_7260.jpg
IMG_20160829_17528.jpg

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

When I hunted them down here, we got the 2nd phase and really struggled to get close to anything of size, they had obviously been hunted hard. If I ever do it again, I'll focus more on baiting them than running and gunning (harpoon/bow)/trying to cast at them.

We ended up getting a couple smaller ones by harpooning them jousting style, haul ass on the air boat and stick them as you fly by. Lots of fun, but the bigger ones know better

PJB

Post by PJB »

sunshine wrote:When I hunted them down here, we got the 2nd phase and really struggled to get close to anything of size, they had obviously been hunted hard. If I ever do it again, I'll focus more on baiting them than running and gunning (harpoon/bow)/trying to cast at them.

We ended up getting a couple smaller ones by harpooning them jousting style, haul ass on the air boat and stick them as you fly by. Lots of fun, but the bigger ones know better
We used white cork bobbers on medium rods to lure them out of the grass and pads. Anything over five wanted nothing to do with it. The smalls ones would chase the cork all over the place and would never leave the side of the boat. Had a blast toying with them and took a lot of pics.