Hunting The Hunters

Discuss freshwater and saltwater fishing of all varieties.
C David

Hunting The Hunters

Post by C David »

I am a dedicated pike fisher. This winter I will start tying streamers and use them on both spin casting and fly rods in the spring. The first vid shows the method how I have fished my whole life for pike here, except using spoons mostly (it is not my video)...

https://youtu.be/h9GimoabO7E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but this second one really shows up the advantages of a Jon boat and now with an SPS I imagine that I will have a blast accessing weed beds and weed lines like I could not have done before (and already did a couple of times this fall once I got the boat in order)...

https://youtu.be/ADqv0tdE8Nk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here in Canada i use luremaking.com and make my own spoons and jig heads.

Thanks Swamp Runner!
Tracker 1542, 390 Stage 1 Honda/medium kit, F250 homebuilt trailer

Aknative

Re: Hunting The Hunters

Post by Aknative »

Oh man that looks like a riot! Where I grew up we mostly fished them through the ice, but I love fishing them open water! Don't get to fish any where near as much as I'd like.

Hope you have lots of fun!
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

JD

Post by JD »

Those northern pike are aggressive and hit hard.
I've never caught one, but it sure looks like a lot of fun.
I'm glad to hear about the advantage the Swamp Runner has given you.

With all those lakes to yourselves, I'd imagine the fishing is very good and the locals supplement their winter stores by putting up a lot of fish.
Do you fillet or cut them into steaks?
Do you can or freeze the meat?
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

C David

Post by C David »

Aknative

...it sure does look like fun! I really like fishing pike (locally called jacks). When I was young I mostly caught small fish, but as I grew so did jack size and I don't know how it happened. Perhaps I just got to naturally recognize bigger fish territory and now it's natural. But this thing of using top water streamers over weed beds looks to be accurate and the casting method by Jensen Fly Fishing video woman is right on and electric!

I have a salmon set up I bought in Newfoundland in 1983 and I think it will be right on for pike here...8.5' Berkley glass rod, #8 wt., and will have to play with #8 or #9 line. She's using an Orvis #6 glass rod which would be fine for smaller fish in shallow weeds but I'm afraid here I'd hook up with something bigger so at least this #8 is a starting point. She was using a foam plug with a couple of chicken feathers tied on, so nothing fancy. Gotta start somewhere. :D

PJ

...they are a pile of fun to catch. life isn't complete without a fly-in fish camp in Canada for walleye and big pike. And I am REALLY glad I finally got around to a Swamp Runner.

There's nothing like sitting on a lake all by yourself, although there are lakes here that are becoming overpopulated by cottages...just another reason for a longtail boat.

I fish pike in shallow water with spoons and lake trout in deep water with a simple downrigger. I fillet my pike and cut my trout into steaks. Pike are too fishy to leave the skin on...some people call them slimers for a reason. :o Lake trout steaks are exceptional!

We freeze ours. There are a lot of people who like us catch as much as they are allowed. We have canned but it's a longer process. We also grind our own balanced ration for our dogs (retrievers) and fresh fish is a great source of meat for them in that feed so when we are actively fishing they get a lot of the smaller ones. Larger fish are mostly females so we do practise catch and release on them. Never caught over a 40" pike though...but enough. 30 - 36" more common. And the little guys are as common as rats at a grain mill...all over in some lakes.

Willie Rip

Post by Willie Rip »

Which streamers do you tie? Colors?

C David

Post by C David »

...these are the three spoons that are useful for pike in this region

...when I start tying with the first of the year I think I'll start with this method and experiment with these colours...and I will throw in some top-floaters with pieces of foam that look like mice...and I will also look to make something that mimics a perch with some green and gold

I like the looks of these patterns

https://youtu.be/RlSf2EpwUgM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;