Aknative's food.

Tommyknocker

Re: Aknative's food.

Post by Tommyknocker »

If I lived up there I suspect I would gain a bunch of weight! The food looks very good!

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

It's a daily struggle! For dinner my wife made up some biscuits and moose breakfast sausage gravy and scrambled eggs.
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

alskanguy

Post by alskanguy »

Aknative,
If you make it down my way anytime soon I have more salmon and halibut for you. It was a great year for it all for me, so if you want I have a bunch of Red salmon fillet's vacuum sealed and ready to go and of course halibut. I'd share the caribou but we are tearing through it pretty fast.
~Steve~
If you can't do it right, then you may want to stop drink a beer and have your buddy do it for you!
1230 Jon Boat with 14" pods and a BEEFED up transom... Small Kit with a Predator 212cc stage 1 & 2 mods.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

You kidding? I had a good ungulate year, if I head your way to grab filets I'll bring moose to leave behind!

There may be a road trip in the future, but I'm not sure. I'd like to go down earlier for kings next year, with the right size hooks!

alskanguy

Post by alskanguy »

I'll be home the day after Christmas, come on down and even if I'm not there April will be so we can get you hooked up.
As far as King's go, I will happily get you hooked up. Maybe this next time you will bring both boats then come get me and I'll drive one of them up to fish camp for you.
I'd like to take you above the weir to one of my favorite holes.
I will be home June 12-25 or July 10-23 (Providing I don't take all of July off) So aim for those times. I will be ready to go.
~Steve~
If you can't do it right, then you may want to stop drink a beer and have your buddy do it for you!
1230 Jon Boat with 14" pods and a BEEFED up transom... Small Kit with a Predator 212cc stage 1 & 2 mods.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

I might could make that work! Doubtful about the road trip this winter though, going to see her family in Michigan soon and have a trapline to run. Nothing much going yet, was slow to start due to low snow and now with this trip coming up didn't want to string too much steel. Kind of worked against me, but hoping to make a good go of it when I get back.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Tried my hand pickling some pike! I've gotten tired of picking y bones from my teeth, but I can't abide the wast in boneless fillets, so I had to try something.

Here's the recipe I went by.
http://honest-food.net/pickled-pike-recipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2 nights of soaking in the pickle the bones were soft and it's only gotten tastier!
4.jpg
5.jpg
I didn't realize how time consuming this recipe is. Have to heat water to dissolve salt to make a brine, cool it to at least room temperature, then soak over night, then heat the vinegar with the herbs and spices, cool it to at least room temperature, put the chunks in jars and cover with the vinegar pickle, leave at least over night. I managed to wait two nights after putting it in the pickle, it's tasty!

trapperles

Post by trapperles »

My family has been pickling pike for a while. I cant hardly stand it myself. It's raw pickled pike. The DNR in Minnesota claims that the raw pickling of pike doesn't kill the parasite cysts in the meat...tapeworm, I believe. Not sure. I had an old friend who is passed away now, that pickled pike after immersing the chunks in boiling water in a French fry holder, for one minute. It made a dryer, not slimey, pickeled fish that seemed more palatable to me.

All that being said, I haven't heard of a case of tapeworms in my area and there is a few folks around that will pickle pike.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

I liked it. Wasn't slimy, some was a bit chewy, but tasty.

I believe, and I could be wrong, but I believe that extended freezing kills the tapeworms. Not sure, but I haven't heard of a case of tapeworm resulting from pickling here, or eating raw pike back home, even fresh raw pike and dried pike. I sure could stand to lose a few pounds though, maybe I'll pickle the other batch this weekend and up my odds!

How do you like your pike Les? How do you deal with the Y bones?

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

Yes, freezing for 48 hours (24 is probably sufficient in all reality) will kill tapeworms and their larvae.

Pickling will kill the worms, but not larvae necessarily.