Aknative's food.

trapperles

Re: Aknative's food.

Post by trapperles »

I like it fried in the rare occasion that I eat it, and it's been a long time. I only recently paid attention to how folk get rid of the Y bones. I generally throw pike back, and don't fish for them as we have an abundance of walleye here, and perch. When I was young, my mother would take a big pike in the 15 lb class, and scale it , cut off the tail past the anus, and the head, and bake it in tinfoil with butter. The bigger the fish, the bigger the bones. I caught one in the spring time when I was a kid and that's what she done with it. All my cousins came over that time and we had fried potatoes and baked pike for dinner. She baked it in an old barb e que grill too.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

We like'em fried as well. I only did the pickle because I can't stand the waste in the boneless filet. If I was at camp still fishing I guess I'd use them for bait for burbot. But I've found me and my kids like it pickled.

We ate alot of baked pike growing up. Lots of it in soup too. I can see where if a person could have have perch and walleye over pike they would, I've eaten those in Michigan and they were tasty!
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

trapperles

Post by trapperles »

If that's what we had to fish for, I'de find a way to like pike, lol. By the way, the last duck I ate took a beaver foothold down the drowner lock in the spring of the year. We don't have a spring duck season, but I ate it out of guilt anyway, and it was pretty good. Wanton waste is a sin, you know.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Yes it is! I love duck hunting, but I haven't found a way I like to eat it, and the yield just isn't enough groceries compared to a moose. Ate a lot of duck back home, mostly in a soup. Most everything gets thrown in the soup pot back home.

trapperles

Post by trapperles »

I crock potted that duck with two ruffed grouse from the freezer, onions, and bacon and wild rice. Bacon seems to add something. The rice goes in last.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Sounds pretty good! I'll be on baby leave for duck season this year, might be able to take the oldest chasing water fowl after we get the big groceries.

Wasn't much bacon in the soup back home, but I use alot of it now. As soon as the feral pigs make it this far north I'm going to learn to make it and won't have to buy it from the store.

JD

Post by JD »

Hogs don't fare well in Alaska.
They cannot survive the extreme winter temps of the interior.
Back in the early 80's some guy released a bunch of hogs on Marmot Island, near Kodiak.
Much more temperate there on the coast than it is in the interior.
Between the cold, and predators, they're all gone now.
You're probably gonna have to keep buying your bacon :(
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Nuts.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

The feral hogs have invaded Alberta. http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/26/al ... terminator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alaska is prepared for the invasion though, "no closed season" on feral swine. Not that I really hope they get here, they're a nuisance. But if they do, I'm learning to make bacon and cut pork shops. I love me some pork chops...and pork ribs.

JD

Post by JD »

Interesting. Without fur, I wonder how they are surviving that far north?
Maybe they've learned to burrow up in snowbanks for insulation.
Doubt they'll make it up to you though.
Everybody loves bacon. Even wolves and bears.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.