Show us your pictures and video here.
trapperles

Re: Aknative's Alaska Life

Post by trapperles »

Way to show you kids the way , Temple.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

JD

Post by JD »

Can you break trail ahead of the machine by packing the snow with snowshoes?
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

I could, I've done that in the past and it works well with narrower machines. This one is a bit wider. It just took a different style of driving, I was trying to tractor slowly along, when what I needed to do and eventually did was get on step and grab some throttle, let them 120 horses gallop some.

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

When it doubt, grab throttle!

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

I did the next trip. You can tell by the deeper hole!
stuck.jpg
I spend so much time trying to catch fox out in the woods and they walk by the house.
fox near the house.jpg
This squirrel stuck it's head in a lynx trap.
squirell.jpg

A little blurb in my new winter gear!

In 2013 I bought my first Swamp Runner long tail, and I became a member on their forum. I share pictures and videos there, of both summer and winter activities. Most of the other members on that forum are from The Lesser 48, many from the Southern region, and are unfamiliar with the colder end of our climate spectrum.

The owner of Swamp Runner noticed in some of my videos and pictures the tattered and faded state of my winter gear. I'm not one to stop using a garment simply because it's showing some age and I really wasn't ready to shell out the dough for replacement bibs and coat yet.

Well, every now and then something comes along my Dad likes to refer to as "a good guy dividend." Jon at Mudmotor Kit took it upon himself to outfit me with a set of Striker bibs and coat! I guess it does pay not to be as crusty as I want to be all the time!

I'm very happy with them, they block the wind, the material feels pretty tough, lots of pockets, and warm! I've learned that when (not if but when) I have to shovel The Pig out I'd better just start by taking the coat off, even at around 10 below like I think it was by the time I got stuck yesterday. The first couple trips out there was a cold spot on the chest. I found that the vents under the arms were open, closed them and no cold spots now! Even going 50 MPH down the trail there weren't any cold spots, and I was comfortable.

The hood goes over my hat and around my chin with room for comfort and scarves and fur hat, neoprene cuffs keep the snow out from my wrists, bibs come up nice and high and have lots of pockets. They're supposed to be almost water proof and float, as they're made for ice fisherman around the Great Lakes, but I hope I never have to find out for myself!

The only thing that bothers me a little bit is my Gators won't fit over the legs, I'll have to buy a bigger set to keep the snow from riding up the legs WHEN I'm stomping around the machine trying to get unstuck! Maybe I'll make my own.
striker gear.jpg

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Been a slow spring. I'd already been on the water as of a couple days ago this time last year. Rivers are starting to break up, I figure we're about a week behind compared to last year. But this was a more "normal" cold year, I guess it's to be expected.

I had to run south of Cantwell last weekend, I bought a bigger boat out of Anchorage and a friend hauled it half way to Fairbanks for me.
scenery1.jpg
scenery2.jpg
scenery3.jpg
scenery4.jpg
That last is the Nenana river in Denali Park.

Hopefully I'll be trapping some beaver soon, not sure about bear baiting this year though. Baby girl due in August, overtime at work, not sure how much boating I'll be able to do until the fall.

Be safe out there!

JD

Post by JD »

I've never seen a prettier mountain range than the Alaska Range.

I know exactly where those first two pictures were taken.
That's at the top of Broad Pass, which is the dividing line for many of the major rivers in the Alaskan interior.
All streams south of there flow south down to the Cook Inlet, and all streams north drain into the Yukon.

There is also one very unusual spectacle out there in the middle of nowhere, the worlds largest Igloo.

https://www.thealaskalife.com/blog/aban ... el-alaska/

Here are a couple of pics I took there.

That's high country. I miss it and can't wait to get back. :thumbsup:
Attachments
DSC_3857c_1100_733.jpg
DSC_3858c_1100_367.jpg
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Went for my first ride this weekend! Between the ice and debris in the water, iced banks, and trap submergence requirement it wasn't worth setting traps, but I will set some tomorrow.