Aknative's Alaska Life

Show us your pictures and video here.
JD

Re: Aknative's Alaska Life

Post by JD »

That bridge was just barely wide enough for the Polaris.
Looks like Polaris needs to armorize their firewalls to protect passengers when jousting with trees.
Psalm 55:7 - Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

Just want to say thanks again for the photodocumentary for those of us who live on the opposite side of the weather spectrum.

Ole lady got sunburnt fishing for crappie on Saturday. I hollered at her 3x to put sunblock on and she still ended up getting fried in a couple spots.

Was nice until the wind quit blowing and the clouds moved off, then it was 85-87 degrees.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

I was in a hurry with the bridge that day! It was a pucker every time, and will be improved again. The problem with making trails too good though is that other people will feel safe using them!

I'm not trapping this year, I'm ready for winter to be over and to see the sun again! Thanks for the comments.
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

trapperles

Post by trapperles »

Thanks for sharing .

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

I've gotten strong enough to be comfortable shooting the 60 pound Samick Sage. It had a loud twang, was pretty annoying. Check of the brace height had it under the the recommended brace height of 7.5 to 8.5 inches, the higher I got the brace height the quieter the bow got. It's at just under 8.5 now, bare string had a thump and hum that was covered by the sound of the flu flus. For fun I put on some lynx fur silencers and now I only hear the flu flus! Hoping to stick a bear this spring. Be safe out there!
lynxballsonsamicksage.jpg

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Went ice fishing again! We took a drive to a lake outside of town, rented the cabin there and spent a night.

Couple RV's parked near each other. I'd be jigging out the dining room window!
rvs on ice.jpg
We didn't need the shelter that evening, just stepped out the truck as others were leaving their holes and dropped the lines.
fish1.jpg
We slept in a nice warm comfy cabin, and hit the ice again after a good breakfast and cleaning up the cabin.

Needed the shelter, it was snowing with a breeze. Fishing was good, not many keepers but the kids talked us into a few for the pan.
fish2.jpg
Just waiting for the water to get soft now, might get a little more fishing in before then. Be safe out there!

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

A friend gave me some stone points his brother made, I was hoping to try them on a bear this bait season but I'm not going to be able to swing baiting this year. The points I'd use on a bear are all close to 250 grains, so I've made up target arrows to match and made my judos the same. I had broken one judo arrow right behind the head, it was the first to get the heavy field tips. It flew well, so I cut the rest of my target arrows to length and made my judos the same length and weight as well, or as close as I could stand to work it anyway.

The rabbits (yes, I know, they're hares) are tougher than I figured! The first one I hit stopped the arrow and was stunned, but the baby on my back and dog leashed to the waist belt gave it enough time to recover and limp into the brush. But the trail he left! I didn't know rabbits had that much blood. The snow is still waist deep here in the shade, I post holed my way with to the last blood near a snow burrow and couldn't find him. I had the 6 month old on my back, and the 3 year old walking circles around me on top of the snow. Had to go get the oldest from kindergarten, but me and him came back with snowshoes and a shovel. Dug up the borrow and still couldn't find the thing. Walked circles around just in case, found a couple more blood spots. The last blood we found looked like it layed down under a tree and then something dragged it out and left with it before we got there.

Last night I had the whole family out for an evening walk, and spotted a rabbit about 20 yards from the road looking the other way. If I'd been thinking I'd have let the oldest take a poke with his BB gun, but I'm excitable and let fly. I watched that big flu flu sail through the air and almost couldn't believe it landed square in the middle of that rabbits back! My wife took the baby off my back and I stumbled out to claim my prize. Rabbit soup tonight!
1.jpg
2.jpg
I was surprised how solidly both rabbits stopped these arrows. They're 3/8th oak dowels from the store, with around 250 grains up front, totaling around a thousand grains. The brass cross pieces didn't seem to bend as readily against snow clumps as the nails, but were bent by the rabbits. Itching to try them on a grouse next season. Be safe out there!