Boat Camo Paint

Show us your pictures and video here.
BB456
Boat Camo Paint

Post by BB456 »

Looking to paint my Alumacraft jon boat camo. If anybody has done this with good results i would love to see some pics of how you did it.

TECshoot

Re: Boat Camo Paint

Post by TECshoot »

Reelfootcustomcamo.com
1436 Alumacraft Jon-Predator 420
13ft wood duck skiff-Predator 212

TECshoot

Post by TECshoot »

Pic
Attachments
Did this last year with reelfoot kit
Did this last year with reelfoot kit

BB456

Post by BB456 »

That looks good. Where did you find the black Alumacraft decal?

TECshoot

Post by TECshoot »

BB456 wrote:That looks good. Where did you find the black Alumacraft decal?
Its not a decal. I just left the original stickers on until I was done painting and peeled them off when everything was dry.

PJB

Post by PJB »

I have done my a few times over the years. I used stencil blanks and made my own pattern. You can get get stencil blanks from most hobby or craft stores for a couple of dollars. Trace a pattern then cut it out. Apply a base color to your boat then stencil your pattern onto the hull. Sorry not the best pic. Boat was covered in mud.
Attachments
IMG_20150612_33882.jpg

JTP

Post by JTP »

My boat was originally tan and I did not like it at all. I used Rustoleum Camo paint from Home Depot. They have black, dark green, brown, and tan in the Camo line.

I painted the entire boat the dark green. Got some 'green' sticks from an Oak tree (so that they were flexible and would last for the whole job) and then used the black spray paint over the sticks. Held the sticks up to the boat and shot short shots up and down over the sticks. Nothing to it all. I just moved the sticks over and changed the angle a bit to get this effect.

I kept a bunch of paper towels handy to 'dry off' the sticks as they got a bunch of black paint on them. I just kept folding the paper towels on them and that would take off the excess paint and I would keep going. I made sure that I had a nice 'fan' sort of and that the sticks all laid flat up against the boat. I actually wound up blue taping the ends together so that I would have the exact same pattern for the whole boat.

For the plastic on the motor I got some of the back plastic paint especially made to stick to plastic and shot the plastic with a couple of coats. Then went over top of that with the drak green and then used the sticks and the back over that.

I found some grass stencils on eBay. They are pretty thick mylar and stand up to repeated use. They too need to be wiped off as you use them a few times. I used primarily the tan and then used some of the dark brown. Toughest part in using them was going over the hump that runs along side of the boat. I taped the stencil on along the top of the stencil and I had my son help old down the stencils with some paint stir sticks as we went down over it with the spray paint to help keep the stencil tight up against the boat. Worked pretty well.

Its not at all perfect but I like it.
Attachments
camo.JPG
Last edited by JTP on Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
15x42x15 Waco & 670 Predator V Twin
12x28x12 wood Jon & GX200

JTP

Post by JTP »

Here is the finished product. I went over all of the camo with clear semi-gloss urethane. Was in a rattle can and pretty cheap again from Home Depot.

I used a stock boat numbering / lettering kit from Bass Pro. I pealed off the letters and used what you would normally throw away as a stencil. Cut out my registration and taped all of them together. That sticky vinyl is pretty sticky stuff so once I got my my registration all taped together I intentionally dapped the very sticky back on a dusty table in my shop. Wanted to make sure that it pealed off of the boat and didn't take away the paint. Then used blue tape to stick it on the boat. Used the tan color first and then hit it with a little bit of the dark brown.
Attachments
Andy.JPG
andy 2.JPG
jtp's boat.jpg
15x42x15 Waco & 670 Predator V Twin
12x28x12 wood Jon & GX200