Predator 420cc on a 1436 jon boat

jmscherrman

Predator 420cc on a 1436 jon boat

Post by jmscherrman »

Took a buddy out on his maiden voyage today. He picked up a Medium Kit and paired it with a 420cc Predator. With two of us in the boat we gps'ed out at 19mph in some pretty choppy river water. We'll be doing some mods and some boat repairs to get us up over 20mph when fully loaded down with hunting gear!

rds7015

Re: Predator 420cc on a 1436 jon boat

Post by rds7015 »

That is the new style 420 with the hemi head. I just bought my motor saturday, and they had both styles (old and new). How did it run? tempted to go back and get that style of motor.

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

It ran really well! Whats the difference between the old and new 420?

rds7015

Post by rds7015 »

The old style has the single bolt valve cover and a dished piston. The new style has the hemi head, flat top piston, and the charcoal canister that is under the valve cover. The canister is epa stuff, but that hemi head on there is a lot beefier than the old style head. Seems like you could get more horse power out of the new style a lot easier than the old style.

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

That explains why we couldn't figure out what that canister was, I don't think they updated the owners manual because it's not listed in there.

Good to know it's easier to get more power out of!

rds7015

Post by rds7015 »

Any problems running it with the gimbal mounted inside the boat? From the pictures it looks like it is inside? Did you have to pull up on the tiller to keep the prop in the water?

TECshoot

Post by TECshoot »

rds7015 wrote:Any problems running it with the gimbal mounted inside the boat? From the pictures it looks like it is inside? Did you have to pull up on the tiller to keep the prop in the water?
I have this same set up and had to add the trim tab to keep the prop down. Now it drives with little effort. Only problem with the tab is that it does catch more vegetation. With all that said this set-up is exactly what I was looking for and gets me anywhere I possibly need to go.
1436 Alumacraft Jon-Predator 420
13ft wood duck skiff-Predator 212

jmscherrman

Post by jmscherrman »

We are sorting that out this week. We originally had it on the outside of the transom but it wouldn't allow enough height to get the prop out of the water for maneuvering the boat at low speeds.

Any suggestions?

rds7015

Post by rds7015 »

That is what I was wondering. My nieghbor cheapped out and bought one of the "other" brand kits mid last year. He had to run the gimbal inside to be able to lift the tail out of the water. I have been helping him with his kit for several months, and last night he finally just gave up. He called me over, and his kit was sitting onthe floor of his garage with the motor removed. He told me either take this home with you or i am trashing it. I can really tell the difference between the two kits, and so can he. I gave him swamp runners phone number, let's hope he orders a new kit from them.

AJCsurf

Post by AJCsurf »

The transom bolts or the transom bracket itself kept you from moving the prop out of the water?

Is your transom at a steep angle?