Longshot's pictures

ebowski
Re: Longshot's pictures

Post by ebowski »

Very nice catch! Weather permitting I hope to be on the river next week.

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

What kind of fish are those?
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

Common carp

Aknative

Post by Aknative »

Cool, thanks!
Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

I think I'm ready for next weekend's trip to the coast. I've got most of the kinks worked out of this plan.

It is cloudy so I highlighted the shade area and white X's where I plan to be putting my two PVC rod holders so that I have three rods out in the water. The yellow rod is in the rigging rod holder.

The big pipe going across is a chain link top rail piece with the end caps zip tied to the shade so that the shade can be easily removed once the tension is off.

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

Thursday afternoon I drove from work in SA to the southern end of Mustang Island thinking I'd be crashing on the beach until I could join some friends the next day that were planning on leaving their houses at 3 AM to chase trout and redfish Friday.

When I arrived the water was the clear and relatively calm with only minor waves breaking over the sand bars. It was feeling like a good start so I threw out two lines, each with half a blue crab hoping that a big drum or something would hit.

Didn't have any luck but it was a good way to end a long work day.

Luckily my plan to head down early was extremely contagious and they got the rooms stretched forward another day.

On Friday, my buddy offered me a spot on the boat to chase trout and red drum but at 4 AM, that just didn't sound like too good of a plan. Instead, I slept late, ate waffles at the motel and then moseyed down to Mustang Island from the north.

The tide was finicky, wind was low and the sky very clear.
First I wanted to try a spot on the ship channel I had never been to.

I didn't catch anything but it was a good test run to set up the shade, run some baits, eat a sandwich, drink a beer, etc.

I noticed the tide was starting to shift outward so I packed everything up and moved to the sandy side of the island. I had a good feeling because people were moving to where I was at saying the surf was no good for fishing. I don't know what they were smoking, but I saw birds working the first sand bar every 100 yards or so on schools of mullet, whiting and ladyfish. After a bit of driving I found a nice little spot without anyone fishing nearby so I started the process over again. Throw/paddle the bait out, get a drink, eat a few cookies, etc. Unfortunately, my 12 foot surf spinning rod was damaged transporting it between locations and then the plastic level wind drive gear on my Penn 309 had issues. There wasn't much I could do with the broken rod but I was able to do some surf-side surgery to remove the level wind, paddled fresh bait out on an 11/0 hook and waited. My patience was rewarded with a nice fat cobia/ling/lemonfish (whatever you call them locally).

It didn't come close to fitting in my ice chest so I put one trash bag on the head, another on the tail and buried it as best I could in the cooler and hurried back to put it on ice properly. The final measurement was 44 inches and weighed 28 pounds. That was the first one I've ever caught and I'll be targeting them more often after cooking a bit for lunch. Those are some good eating fish.

Drove out Saturday into steady winds and rough surf so the rest of the trip was more chillin' at the beach and getting baits as far out as I could sling them.

Turns out that broken surf rod makes a perfect flag pole.

Croaker

Post by Croaker »

Nice Ling! I used to fish and spearfish for them at the gas rigs south of the Barrier Islands off the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Do you take the rod and reel with you on the kayak when placing the bait?

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

No, I just hooked the spider weight to the cleat on my 12 foot pelican and dropped it when I got far enough out. Friday the surf was calm and I was able to paddle out as far as I wanted, Saturday it was so rough I couldn't get past the second sand bar without completely swamping it.

That was the first time I ever paddled a bait out but after seeing what kind of fish can be landed, I'll be doing it more often. So today I made a huge investment by coming home with an Ocean Kayak Frenzy, one of the top rated kayaks for land based shark fishing :twisted:
I played around in the river this afternoon and can't wait to go back to the beach. This boat isn't as fast as my pelican kayak but if I go slow I think it is easier to paddle while also being virtually unsinkable with 4 drain holes, high sides and a 300 pound weight rating (I'm only 155).

ebowski

Post by ebowski »

Nice cobia! That's what we call them here in NE Florida. I have yet to catch/spear one myself, but I have helped some buddies wrestle some that they power headed while spearfishing.

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

Made a 3 day run to get away from all the drunks on the river and to try out some new hardware. I didn't want to fool with loading and unloading every time I moved so I rigged up my boat trailer to haul most of the gear. It worked so well that when the boat gets worn out I might just bolt it to the trailer for fishing and utility use.

Setting up the fish camp

The reel on the left is my 309 heavy surf rod, a reel I once thought was huge. On the right is the 9/0.

I found out that I couldn't get my 3-4 ounce spider weights to hold so I tried some bricks I use as wheel chucks. Those didn't hold either. We got one bait to hold for a little while with a daisy chain of spider weights that added up to nearly a pound. The next morning I went for some overkill and got some 1 pound spider weights with sturdy stainless steel legs. 8 ounces is probably plenty but those boat anchors held the 6/0.

Didn't actually catch anything big but I came home with some red drum and spotted trout.