Longshot's pictures

Croaker
Re: Longshot's pictures

Post by Croaker »

Your rig looks very nice on the beach set up like that! Wish we had beaches you could drive on here.
I didn't want to fool with loading and unloading every time I moved so I rigged up my boat trailer to haul most of the gear. It worked so well that when the boat gets worn out I might just bolt it to the trailer for fishing and utility use.
A nice removable top for that jon boat could turn it into a basic long "Teardrop" style camping trailer. :idea:

Longshot270

Matagorda 8/27

Post by Longshot270 »

Things got really busy and I didn't have time to get the pictures uploaded.

End of August some friends and I wanted to give Matagorda a try for sharks and such. We all left from work on Friday. My buddy in the black jeep had a little utility trailer with gear, generator, lights, canopies and some coolers of ice. They got there near the end of the day and picked the camp site and started setting up camp. I got there just after sunset with the bulk of the fishing gear, kayak, etc.

There was some bait running in the surf but most of it was too quick for the cast net. The deeper water and faster rip currents did not help.
We were able to get some stuff like a little pancake sized stingray and a big mullet but those baits didn't last long because within 30 minutes we saw our lines get slack and wash to shore. I don't know what they were cut by, shells or fish, but they all had spiraling slice cut into the line preceded the sharp point of the terminal end where the tackle used to be. We didn't see this again for the rest of trip so I'm thinking it was a school of fish catching the lines by accident. On a lighter note, we did eventually catch the tackle back, empty hooks of course.

Since I also didn't know how high the tide came in at night I stayed up to keep an eye on the water. I have heard some horror stories of friends waking up with their truck cabs full of water. It was worth it because we had to move the vehicles twice and camp once. In the span of moving chairs and rod holders, the little utility trailer my buddy brought sunk to the axle which then got 2wd Renegade stuck also.
Side note: If you guys don't have the straps that roll themselves up yet, get one, they are handy because they maintain enough tension to hang above the sand/dirt/mud, and the one I got has an alleged 5,000# working limit.

Eventually, Saturday morning peaked through the clouds and my buddy went back to town for a pair of beach permits, squid and better shrimp. That is when things got interesting. Before the eggs and sausage was cooked, every line sitting on the second sand bar had something on it. Back to back we brought in 5 little sharks and one good redfish. The sharks were returned but the redfish got buried in ice. Once the sun was above the clouds, the bite died until lunch time when I got a shiny little blacktip.

Aside from a few hardhead and one or two gafftop catfish, the bite was pretty slow until the afternoon when we reeled in a little bitty hammer head

At that point, I unrolled my chair cushion to catch a nap before the sunset bite picked up. About two hours later I was woken up by some commotion and someone hollering that I needed to wake up and help. I peaked under my hat brim and saw one of the stiff rods bent all the way over and the braid loaded spinning reel turning some RPMs as the heavy drag was doing little to slow down the critter on the other end. I pulled my jeep around and said to throw the rod in the bumper. That fish wasn't going to win a tug-o-war with a 3,000 pound 4x4. I asked where the bait was at and my buddy said it was a bad cast that nose dived into the first sand bar and was immediately picked up with something that could pull. Yep, a decent sized sting ray. We got it in after a pretty good struggle. Anticipating the possibility of one, I had brought a gig to make disarming critter a bit more safe. I've never eaten one before but apparently they aren't bad so it got rolled up and packed in ice.

Yes, that is an herbicide sprayer, no it has never been used for poisoning. It is pressurized water without the need for electricity.

Everyone is afraid of sharks which are pretty low on the list of biting humans. Meanwhile, this bugger was 50 feet from the water line and every inch of that spine is barbed.

Saturday night wasn't very good for fishing, caught a few more hard heads but nothing worth noting.

By Sunday morning, the surf was flat and the water cool. The shells on the beach had all disappeared and it could be the fish went with them, I've heard the two are loosely related.

After this trip I realized the 400# leaf springs would not be adequate for this trailer. Luckily there is a nearby Northern Tool that had 1000# leaf springs for $20/each.
This is after I put the heavier springs on. I noticed it sits about an inch higher and tows much better with reduced trailer sway.

sunshine

Post by sunshine »

Pretty awesome man.

I told the ole lady that before the end of summer I'm going to put her on a decent shark and let us get dragged around for awhile. I'm running out of time.

SourMash

Post by SourMash »

Great story Longshot!
13' Gheenoe - 212 Predator
1436 G3 - 420 Predator

Brian Boyer

Post by Brian Boyer »

Every time i see these drive on beach photos i want to drive the FJ TT down there and drive around just in 2wd with the rear diff lock on. Thats gotta be fun.

I have never owned a vehicle that will go where this TT will go, its effortless. It's the family truckster, the Kia Sedona is my fishing (abuse) rig. (The Sedona is shockingly capable too, the engine is cast iron block and puts a lot of weight on the front drive tires, no way the Sedona would drive on sand though..)
brianboyer295@yahoo.com

"Hillary LIES matter"... (LOCK HER UP)

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

This weekend on Mustang Island. We had high tides, full moon, and wind pushing water up the shore from the gulf.

I recently upgraded to a 4000 peak watt dual fuel generator from Walmart for $300ish. It works great. Next time we are camping on the sand we can run the camper from the generator and won't require a camp site. I also put the hand winch back on the trailer with 100 ft of 3mm cable, glad I did. It worked well for lights.

Pretty water this trip

The first night we stayed up late but only caught hard head catfish, whiting and a small sting ray.

Last edited by Longshot270 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

oops

Longshot270

Post by Longshot270 »

Final Trip 2016!

Wanted to make one more coastal trip before the end of the year so on Thursday, my bro and I loaded up the gear to try catching something big from the shipping channel between Port Aransas and Aransas Pass. Long story short, we didn't catch anything big, but did get some big blue crabs for a New Year's seafood gumbo!

The trip started off with a chilly 60 degrees and windy (don't make jokes, it's y'all's fault some of you live in the land of snow), I was hoping for it to boost my mileage on the way down but I think it ended up being more of troublesome cross wind. The final stretch leg from Corpus Christi to Port Aransas was definitely unfortunate because I couldn't break 60 mph without running in 4th gear and even then, I could almost watch the fuel gauge go down. Luckily we rolled into Aransas Pass just after the fuel light came on.

After a quick stop at the Whataburger for the only warm meal of the trip, we started hopping the islands looking for a good camp site. For reference, here's a map. There are many names for these little islands separated by 1-5 ft deep water but the one we spent the most time on I'll call Lighthouse Park Island (LPI) for the sake of simplicity because the park is easy to google, the proper name, not so much. Lighthouse park is a paddling trail and LPI serves as the parking/trail head.

Initially, I was wanting to fish in the Aransas Channel, but the wind was blowing from that direction so hard we could barely cast into it, so we settled on the SE side of the island that has a little channel used by bay and duck boats.

One of my gifts this Christmas was a 50 ft string of work lights with 100 watt equivalent LED lights. They worked well, too bad I didn't more of my galvanized poles.

During the night we caught some of the largest hardhead catfish I've ever seen, a small sting ray about the size of a dinner plate, and an undersized trout. The bite came to a complete halt around 8 so we rolled everything up about an hour later and called it a night.

The next morning it was still on the mid 50's and windy but we took down camp and tried a few other places like the Aransas pass ship channel. The Mustang Island surf was a no-go due to the wind and waves and the Aransas ship channel didn't even have bait stealing crabs.

-NE side of LPI.

I definitely got to test out the new BFG KO2s in some of the mud flats and sand that had recently drained during low tide. When the previous tires would have been spinning and slipping, these just kept pulling. The old tires would let the jeep slide sideways into every low spot, that is not the case anymore. I had been afraid of these tires throwing a bunch of mud on the trailer, but since they bit instead of slipped, they never turned fast enough to sling mud.

After getting skunked at every place we tried, we went back to the camp site of the previous night.

For a while, we were fighting with crabs who kept stealing bait. By 10 PM it didn't look like we'd be catching any fish that day so I changed tactics, and fired up the the little cook pot with some crab boil seasoning. In Texas, blue crabs have to be 5 inches wide on the carapace (outer, top shell) to keep but since that doesn't fit in my little cook pot, I just pulled off one claw from each crab we were able to coax into the net. I was still able to eat my fill of crab claws without having a single one come back for round two.

Here's a big one that was thrown back fully intact due to infection.

It got down into the 40's and rain that night and made taking down camp the following morning miserable. I tried one more time for some fish but only caught one crab before it was time to head out. Unfortunately for this one, he got placed in a ziplock bag and packed in ice. The half a quart of live bait shrimp that had survived some hard time in the bait bucket didn't even have a chance to hop off the hook to freedom, they also found their way into the ice in a ziplock submarine.

By the time I got home, I was tired and cheated with some Zatarans gumbo with rice.

SourMash

Post by SourMash »

Nice job Longshot, looks like a ton of fun
13' Gheenoe - 212 Predator
1436 G3 - 420 Predator